Thursday, November 29, 2012

Week 15: Urbanization

I was born and raised in a rural area. When I was 13 years old, my family moved to the city. We didn't live there long and moved back. We go visit that city every year for the Holidays. Every year that I go, I always notice something different. There are more stores around the area. There's always some kind of new construction going on. The cost of living there has drastically gone up. Since this has happened, there are more and more people moving there. All kinds of people are moving there, so the violence has increased. There are more robberies and car jackings now than there were 12 years ago when I lived there.

Where I currently live, the same thing is sort of happening. New stores and restaurants have opened up around here too. Walmart was recently built about 5 minutes from my house. With Walmart now in town, several local stores have closed because people prefer to go to Walmart. The violence around has also increased. You would never hear about a murder around here. Now there are roughly around 5-6 murders annually. It may not seem like much but it's unbelievably high for this area.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Fatima,

    It's interesting how growth and development can affect an area. While certain stores or restaurants opening can be nice, the cost of living and crime are not. It would be interesting to look more closely at how the change in population, groups of people, housing, and crime are related.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Talia

    ReplyDelete