Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Week 4: Nature vs. Nurture Debate

Nature vs Nurture debate is a topic I have studied a lot in my previous psychology classes. It's a very interesting topic to discuss because every person has a different point of view. When it comes down to making a decision, the students in my classes were usually divided down the middle. I believe we are mostly shaped by our environment, so I believe in the nurture part.

John Locke came up with an interesting theory, tabula rasa. He stated that all human beings are born with their minds being a blank slate. He believed that the way we raised affected greatly what kind of person we would become later on in life. He didn't believe that nature affected the way we were.

Another interesting theory is one by Albert Bandura. His theory was Bandura's Social Learning Theory. This theory stated that we learned our behaviors through observing our environment. If a person imitates aggression then that behavior would be learned through observation and imitating.

If a child's parents are evil, I don't think the child will automatically be born evil. I believe that the child will learn the parents' behavior and imitate it. If the child is raised by it's sweet grandmother, then the child will be sweet just like the grandmother. I strongly believe that our surroundings and family affect the person we become as adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment