Sunday, September 2, 2012

Week 3: Comedy Sketch

What I got from this video is that the British think that Americans are too proud. Hugh Laurie was singing the song. Every time he says "America" or "the states," the audience almost dies of laughter. I'm sure everybody is proud of their heritage and their country. I know I am. This comedy sketch is portraying that Americans are exaggeratedly proud. When the man comes out and punches Hugh Laurie in the face, it kind of demonstrates hatred towards the Americans. I think that British think that Americans are being ridiculous for being so proud. They might possibly annoyed by it. This was my interpretation of the video.

4 comments:

  1. Sir Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie have always liked poking fun of the American Ego (which is in fact pretty annoying). Americans don't hesitate to poke fun of British Accents, habits, culture, etc. I think the British do it in a cleverer way. I found the sketch funny (Not one of their funniest, but funny nevertheless).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Americans do make fun of the British. I guess this sketch was their way of getting back at them. Thanks for your response.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with your statement.

    ReplyDelete