Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Week 6: Technology=Isolation

Do you think Americans today are more isolated due to technology?

When it comes to technology, it's amazing all the advances that are being made everyday. Technology is advancing a little too fast for us to adapt to it so quickly.

I do believe that Americans are being more isolated today due to technology. Practically everything we do can be done with our cell phones or any other electronic device. I will use myself as an example. I remember that whenever I wanted to see my friends, I would have to go to their house. Nowadays, all we need a camera and an internet connection. People are becoming so obsessed with technology that it's leading to pervasive behavior. People can't live without technology.

I recently visited a friend. Her entire family was divided. Her mother was texting on her cell phone. Her father was on his laptop on facebook. One of her brothers was playing video games alone is his room. Her other brother was on facebook on a laptop. She said that her household was like that everyday. Her family only got together whenever they went out together. They even remained on their devices while they were eating dinner. They had become an isolated family.

I honestly do believe that technology is isolating Americans. Technology is extremely beneficial to our society but I think that the amount of use should be limited to people. If it's isolating us this much already, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like in the future.


I found this image on facebook. It's suppose to be gag image but it describes exactly what's happening with modern-day families.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on how isolating technology can be. This photograph illustrates a scary prospect. I hope we're not as bad off as that.
    Richard Bobys

    ReplyDelete